Online Therapy Services
Online therapy is a great way to schedule in counseling where you have more flexibility in scheduling. You do not have to factor in drive time, travel or traffic. So if you have a busy day with many commitments and limited time, then online counseling may be a good fit for you.
You can have therapy sessions in the comfort of your own home or in the office through HIPAA secure and encrypted video technology. It is similar to using Skype or Face time, however we use a secure service that has end-to-end encryption. All you need is a smartphone, laptop or computer with a webcam, a strong internet connection and a quiet place where you feel you will have complete privacy and you are all set.
Online counseling is not a good fit for everyone, however in our free consultation, I can determine if this type of counseling best meets your needs.
Online Counseling Is Ideal for:
- Caregivers to those with health and pain conditions
- Chronic pain and illness patients
- Individuals with limited mobility
- High achieving adults who work long hours
- Frequent travelers
- Expecting moms and new moms
- Those who live in rural areas where there are limited mental health services
- Individuals with anxiety or phobias
- Individuals with chemical and mold sensitivities
- Those with unreliable transportation
Online Counseling FAQ
When is online counseling not a good fit?
If you are having an emergency mental health concern such as feeling suicidal or homicidal, or that you want to hurt yourself or another individual, then please seek immediate assistance by going to your nearest hospital or call 911.
Online counseling is also not a good fit:
- If you are having hallucinations, delusions or difficulty in maintaining organized thoughts.
- If you are addicted to drugs or alcohol
- If you have a psychiatric mental health condition
Online Counseling FAQ
What will I need for an online counseling session?
- You will need a smartphone, laptop, or desktop with a webcam for video sessions.
- You will also need a strong internet connection so a great way to test this out, is if you are able to successfully stream Netflix on your internet. If the answer to this is yes, then your connection should be strong enough for video sessions.
- You will also need to be in a room where you feel you have complete privacy and will not be disturbed.
- To provide greater privacy, it is also best to use wired earbuds during therapy sessions.
Are online counseling sessions secure?
- Yes, I only use HIPAA compliant and encrypted technology software for our therapy sessions.
How long are sessions?
- Session length can vary depending on your therapy goals, scheduling and the therapist’s availability.
- Sessions can be 55 minutes, 75 minutes or 90 minutes in length.
Are online therapy sessions the same fee as in person sessions?
Determining if Online Counseling is the Right for You
- Are you having thoughts of harming or killing yourself or someone else?
- Are you experiencing an immediate crisis?
- Are you experiencing any delusions, hallucinations, disorganized thinking or psychotic symptoms?
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the above statements, then online counseling is not a good fit for your current needs. You would likely benefit from in-person therapy sessions.
If you answered ‘no’ then please scroll down to review the technical requirements
Online Counseling Technology and Privacy Tips
You will need:
- A smartphone, laptop or desktop computer. If you are using a desktop computer, then you will also need a webcam.
- Wired earphones (for greater privacy and a stronger audio connection)
- Strong internet service connection.
- If you can easily stream Netflix or another streaming service without the programming freezing or stopping, then your internet speed and quality should be adequate for online counseling sessions.
- A room with privacy where you do not feel like others can hear you. It is also a space where you will not be disturbed by the phone ringing, or other people walking in during your therapy session.
Note: If you feel like others can hear you during video sessions, then you can turn on a fan, play some music at a low volume, or use a sound machine for greater privacy.
There are also sound apps which can be played from smartphones and tablets. For best effect, it helpful to place these sound barriers by your room door, either on the inside or just outside.